Productivity, or productive work, is an issue which employs mankind at least since industrialization repeatedly. Overtime or a high number of results are in fact not the same as productivity. They stand for diligence and motivation. Productivity in the strict sense, however, describes the achievement of concrete results and values in a given time, which are actually needed in shape. So there may be people who get caught in really unimportant tasks and can stay long, while the colleague effortlessly brings a really important project to the end. So what is the key to productivity? And why all of us should have the aim to increase its productivity?
Reasons for increasing your productivity
Reasons to want to increase their own productivity, there are many. Because productive working people feel less stressed, achieve faster and better results, are professionally successful and have a more balanced work-life balance.
The problem is namely that it is difficult to put more and more people priorities. This is not only at work so, but often affects the whole life. Then give insignificant activities far too much attention and lose the really important aspects of the view.
Not infrequently, the ends in excessive time pressure, stress and possibly even burnout . Then there’s the other type of person. Den, in which we keep asking how he “actually everything in a row gets” . Simple: He lives and works extremely productive. But what is the secret of productivity?
The key to productivity
The answer is a paradox: Less is more. Productive people have learned “No” to say and to concentrate on the really important tasks. This gives them for this more energy and more time and can be done with more concentration to work.
Actually a very simple strategy. The problem is that many people do not dare to even once ‘no’ to say, certainly not to the boss or colleagues. And if they were, often lack the eye for the essentials. What you do not realize what tasks are really important and which ones?
The large mass of different working methods, systems, software, technical equipment and the noise in open plan offices are increasingly contributing to the non-productivity of German labor. It is normal in this modern chaos to lose track.
For increased productivity, the worker must be concentrated on fewer pillars. In everyday work that is of course usually easier said than done. Concrete tips and various approaches to increasing productivity, we will therefore summarized in the last chapter.
What productivity depends?
First of all, however, we want to affect workplace productivity clarify what further factors. Because not only the character or the operation of a people have a positive or negative effect on individual productivity. On the contrary: Many environmental factors play pure in our lives and we are at their mercy helpless. Finally, the fight against the natural biorhythm would likely lead to disease than to higher productivity. It is better, we take the factors so even aware and learn to use them optimally:
- In the morning we are most productive, have the most power and can concentrate the best.therefore Kill particularly important tasks in the morning or put significant meetings just before the lunch break.
- Breaks are essential for productive work. Particularly naps for five to ten minutes – yes at work – to increase productivity sustainably and the health and well-being be beneficial in the long term.
- The energy does not just happen. Therefore, you must consume enough food. This includes, for example, a hearty lunch. This you may do in the short term, although tired, but increases the long-term energy and concentration. The advantage: take forcibly the so important for the body and mind lunchtime.
- The lunch Deep You can then use a coffee overcome. This should in fact be used strategically. In low-coffee drinkers the body gets used quickly to the caffeine and the desired effect is eliminated. Those who learn to take the coffee rare but it specifically to the future can be even faster productivity holes behind.
Work productively course has its ups and downs. There is also no precise statements about how long a person can work productively at a time. The various techniques for increasing productivity pursue very different concepts here. It is estimated that every person should be at least two hours a day at work unproductive. Critics speak of much higher figures. No wonder, there are numerous productivity killer that represent in their daily work a real challenge.
The nastiest productivity killer:
- constant accessibility
- Distraction of emails or phone
- excessive workload
- private stress
- lack of breaks
- can say “yes” and not delegate
- and much more.
The list of productivity killer is long and depends also always on the person, the professional, the industry and the private situation. At the top is definitely the general “stress” . According to a published study Statista So, with 58 percent of respondents said that stress manifests in them in the form of concentration. Productive work is then no longer possible.
According to DAK Health Report 2014 , around 20 percent of the working people feel stressed, from shop floor to officials. Added to the high increase comes from mental illness as a result of excessive load. The increase in productivity would be here as a preventive measure a good approach. Latest for sufferers, however, it is an indispensable factor for the recovery.
3 approaches to increase productivity
1. The Pomodoro Technique
The pomodoro technique divides the individual steps in each five-minute blocks. Just take five minutes, in which you can concentrate on delivering only one task. No phone, no e-mails! Then there is a short break, maybe a quick conversation with the colleagues and then you start with the next five-minute block.
They do not believe that this works? Then Check it out once made. In five minutes you can process significantly more than you might suspect. Furthermore certainly listen to again not in the middle of the work. Thus, from the five minutes just once ten, 20 or even 25 minutes. And then the job is done!
2. “Getting Things Done” – The GTD system
The GTD system was invented by David Allen and to simply reduce the mass of tasks. It builds this on seven pillars:
- The to-do list: As a classic among the tools brings the to-do list in order the tasks and help you once not to lose track. Only if you know what you have to do everything, you can be divided sense.
- The Not-To-Do List: When GTD system classical to-do list is but yet another opposite, called “Not-To-Do-List”. Stop here all those tasks that you want to do now and in the future definitely not more. This includes, for example, the tasks that always zuschiebt you the annoying colleague, or all that you can delegate. You should now of course not simply pass on your work to others. The point is to use the mind. What can the fellow do himself where he really needs my help and what can the student take over for me? You need to learn “No” to say again!
- The project list: List all the current projects and keep the current state firmly. Here you can watch the progress, divide the project into small steps and bring the tasks in the optimal sequence or spread to different employees. The smaller the objects, the better the offers the combination with the Pomodoro Technique.
- A list of ideas: In order to increase productivity, you should always be keen to optimize their current work process. Collect this all your thoughts and ideas on a separate list. This can also be future projects or a simple idea. Whether you actually tackle these ideas later or discard again you will then leave itself.
- The Notebook: The Notebook, you should always have on hand. It can contain the aforementioned lists or specially made. By constant accessibility it offers itself perfectly to document sudden questions, ideas or tasks. To never have to worry about anything important. Have you gotten used to the notebook, you will soon no longer want to work without it.
- The calendar: Also integrated in the notebook or nowadays increasingly digitally in mobile phone, you must always carry your calendar with them. Since you have already sorted all your tasks, ideas and lists in writing lists, select from the calendar just for your appointments. To keep track.
- The filing: Speaking of tourism. The storage is an essential component of the organization and is not to be underestimated in its impact on productivity. If you store your documents carefully, you have this later at hand and can be more productive to work with. You have done a job before? Then take it but quickly from the tray instead of starting from zero again. Organization is ultimately the lifeblood of productive work.
3. The Two Minute Rule
The two-minute rule also part of the GTD system by David Allen and is another principle of productive working illustrate: Dimension each task because if you can do in two minutes or not. Yes? Then do this immediately. No? Then you have three different options for action. The first is this easy to throw away. The second they would delegate to an employee. Is that not, enter the task into the right list.
The concepts to increase productivity are a good indication of the future. Finally, you must find the right system for themselves. For this you can combine different options or find completely new for themselves.
Some rely on meditation, others on sports during the lunch break and the third to switch the phone off.However, the productivity increase should be a permanent goal for all of us. Because it makes life easier, reduces stress and makes for a more balanced work-life balance .
Become aware where your productivity killers are and learn to avoid these long-term.
Where do you draw energy? What helps you concentration? Find your system and let us know what worked for you. We and the other readers are eager to hear your tips and tricks.