The question ” What is time management ?” Is often asked. Rightly so, because time management is actually a misguided notion.
Time can not manage it: You can take out the batteries from your wristwatch or smash the alarm clock – time is running yet further. More importantly, what you do with it.
What things are you doing, how motivated, passionate and focused as you live, learn, work. The subjective sense of time is crucial!
And this is determined by factors such as motivation , concentration and clarity marked. Therefore fits the word “personal productivity” or “mental focus” as a concept in my eyes better.
Even self-management as a concept I find something dusty and outdated. We’re not all totally rational managers, but people with heart and mind, feelings, habits, quirks.”Self-management” suggests somehow that I should wipe out all. No thanks.
What is time management?
1. Time management is resource management
That’s why time management is for me primarily resource management: We have only limited attention, time, energy, patience, money and other resources available.
And in a world that still offers plenty soooo Thousands options for the dream job, the dream vacation, the dream partner.
Countless ways to make his life, studies, internship. In the supermarket symbolize approximately 20,000 products today’s “multi-option society”.
Since one can sometimes smoke the head. This variety of decisions, tasks, emails , websites, learning material and information overwhelms our mental abilities. People react in two ways:
- The “stressed-firefly to speed strategy”: These people are constantly here and there, in the head but always somewhere else. They have 237 things on their to-do list and constantly afraid of missing something. They are constantly active and buzzing around. Answering phone calls, emails , take initiative and responsibility, projects and plans . Or they learn around the clock, read every footnote and dig through every book of literature. You can guess where that leads. Who ever goes full throttle, the eventually run out of gas or he burned himself – if he will not come off in advance by the way. This often results in burnout, depression and other psychosomatic diseases such as tension, migraine, scales, stomach ulcers, high blood pressure etc.
- The “exasperated-Opposum-verteckt-be-behind-tree strategy”: These people freeze in the sea of options. I did my doctoral thesis written in this area and read a lot of decision-making, learning and motivation psychological studies. It seems certain that the variety of options people demotivated, confused and frustrated. If the load to be big, decreases the motivation in the first place to start. It’s like a possum, which solidifies at risk. Therefore, there is in many of the desire to simply get off, ceasing to travel. Or they talk constantly of “one would have, should, could”, but do not get out the first step. “Man” then hiding behind excuses, obstacles and “other projects”.
You notice already: Both are no strategies, but involuntary, through our mental system unconsciously controlled stimulus-response schemes that certain appropriated or assessed thinking and behavior patterns follow.
The good news is that its capacity, so it can consciously improve its resources through a good mix of one concentration, motivation – and -ähm, well: time management techniques – in the strict sense.
Should complete the one in any case, by techniques for faster reading and you should learn to better learn – otherwise one is really stupid in the knowledge and information society there.
So we define the time management techniques, methods, concepts or whatever you like to call, a closer …
2. Time management is a mix of different soft skills!
Efficiency: a purely economic one is productive when working efficiently. Either you manage more with the same effort, takes less time or increasing its quality.Productivity is thus a means of resources (time, energy, money) to save and to fulfill his wishes and tasks.
Work-life balance : While “Time & Self Management” The epitome of “self-disciplining”, that brings duty and rigor with it, a more holistic perspective taking “personal productivity” a: long term, efficient, motivated, concentrated, ready to shoot , happy and cheerful , we are just that, if we find a good mix of tension and relaxation.
Self Coaching: How a coach an athlete, you can inspire to excel yourself. Not only as a young person you have his confidence, resolve inner blockages and actively pursued its development process from time to time.
Motivation is the key to make a change and move forward. This is about your objectives and self-discovery, but also about short and long term to provide the necessary energy resources. Is the basic energy up, helping you time management in the implementation of your goals. And only then. What bring you the best time management tools and techniques, if you have no desire to use it?
Through concentration techniques to clarity and depth of your thoughts can be increased and set at a target.
A good order and organization , the methods, priorities and action routines can be better anchored in everyday life. A good working environment can tremendously promoting productivity – his or -hemmend!
These are, in my view important soft skills that play together all as a team when it comes to (just “our approach to tasks, information, options and priorities Time Management”) to improve.
Because I was unhappy with most guidebooks, define the time management very closely, I have poured all the gold in 50 rules and the “Golden Rules” published.
These provide important thinking and acting concisely to a maximum of 5 pages each with very concrete advice again and are such a small time management lexicon and implementation helpers in one.
The book I wrote for me (how selfish!), Because I wanted me and you (go yet) provide a companion through all living, learning and working phases.
A resource to be inspired and motivated from time to time by new ideas. Or to techniques to call itself into memory, which one (s) might know, but applies from timid.
3. Time management strictly speaking is a canon of specific methods and concepts
Time management is to animate, conscious dealing with your time, and give thought categories, with which it is easier to set the right priorities.
Some important methods and principles are part of the “standard” of time management and are you probably already known, so only in brief reminder:
Setting priorities: Pareto Principle & Eisenhower Method .
Reduce distractions: “Just Say No”, “quiet hour”, telephone and Internet off, start time thieves.
Goals: create to-do list, SMART objectives set, ALPS method (mainly by Prof. Dr. Lothar Seiwert Zeitmanager propagated.
Find energy: work according to the biorhythm, biorhythms, sleep and pauses note comply and optimize.
4. Time Management pursues certain objectives
You can define time management as a set of specific goals, which are pursued, among other things:
- improve working methods
- questioning existing practices
- Establishing new routines
- be more relaxed and balanced
- To motivate again and again
- control complexes brainteasers
- be well organized
- Dealing with new challenges
- Guided goal, structured, yet flexible action / Plan
- Fast work into tasks
- reduce stress
- creating more
- With his energy economize
- self motivation
- Larger Confidence
- Better concentration
- More freetime
- master Lange Studienarbeiten
- reduce distractions
- Skilful planning and scheduling
- More efficient learning
- achieve better grades
Now you know what the term time management is to understand. In the next steps I’ll tell you how to make you more out of your day and reach your goals into.